Thursday, September 15, 2016

15) Completed the Build and 3000 mile test ride


From This...
To This!!!
And it only took 3 years with a miner investment in dollars and a little more in mental equity.

On September 28 2013 I officially started my project. Here is the link to my first post on this project, 
http://rbwii.blogspot.com/2013/09/project-1-motorcycle.html

The project changed a 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 to what I'm calling a GLglide. As it may be a Honda Goldwing frame and engine but most everything else is Harley Davidson Road Glide

One of the final major evolution was an engine overhaul. I removed the engine and took it to the local Honda dealer to be rebuilt.  The engine had a rattle internal to it and the heads did not pass the leak down test. So as the engine had 116,000 miles on it I was hoping for a new engine when I got it back. The Honda shop recommended I have the heads rebuilt and since the pistons past the leak down they did not recommend I split the engine case to inspect internally for the rattle.  So I crossed my fingers and this is what I got back; 


So I had to replace the engine.  I found a 1999 GL1500 engine in Florida with only 50,000 miles on it. Compared to the 116,000 on my engine this look good. But it was a short block, but since I just had the heads on my engine rebuilt I went for it. 
I received the short block and started the parts swap and found other issues the Honda shop left for me.  Water in the oil and a stripped thread in the head which I had to insert a helicoil. Not Happy!

But with the great paint job our friend Jim Hawkinson did I am Very Happy!
 So with the new engine and a great paint job I had less than a week to put the bike together before I set out with my Brother for the road trip we had planned. A 3000 mile trip around the western states. First to Bend Oregon and on to Twin Falls Idaho to visit our Uncle. To Provo Utah and Zion National Park. A night in Vegas and to my Brothers home in Paso Robles before I headed home to Bayside.




A Great trip and the motorcycle made it with minimum problems.  So now I need a new project..
I'm calling this one DONE!



1 comment:

  1. I am glad I found this blog. I have had an idea in my head to find a Goldwing (specifically a 1500 also) and do something similar to what you did. Now that I see what kind of undertaking that would be, I would say it's an unrealistic idea for myself. Trying this when you are retired is one thing, but I am 33 years old, and without a hell of a lot of free time.

    Though it did make me think a little further. Perhaps the original fuel tank could be left as Is, and the electronics placed in to a fake fuel tank or box like cavity in the place where a traditional fuel tank goes. I would have no interest in retaining a radio and speakers. Keep the stock side cases in place... Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete